Apply for your pavement licence

The Business and Planning Act 2020 has introduced a new, temporary, fast-track process for businesses to obtain a pavement licence for the placement of furniture such as tables and chairs on the highway (including footpaths and pavements) adjacent to their premises.

This will help businesses to maximise their ability to trade whilst adhering to social distancing guidelines.


This permission can only be used for the purpose of selling or consuming food and drink in connection with the activity of the main premises.

Who can apply?

Any person who proposes to use an area of highway adjacent to their premises to sell food or drink for consumption on or off the premises can apply for a pavement licence. This includes restaurants, cafés, pubs and bars, and other food and drink retailers such as delicatessens.

Other businesses with no food and beverage element previously (for example a museum or hairdresser) can also apply.

Applying for a pavement licence

Businesses are encourage to read this guidance document before applying. The document contains important information on eligibility, types of furniture permitted, the application process and more.

A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) can be found here.

Applications must be submitted electronically with the application fee of £100. To apply for a licence, you will need to complete the form below:


Once completed, the form and supporting documents should be submitted through the online application portal via the below links:


Licences are valid until 30 September 2021. 

Further information can be found on the South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District Council websites.

Sign up for our email newsletters

%d bloggers like this: