Details of a new discretionary rate relief for South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse based businesses affected by the 2017 revaluation have been made available.
Details can be found below, please head to the Vale of White Horse District Council website for more information and further rates relief schemes.
Award of revaluation discretionary rate relief
Discretionary revaluation relief will be provided over four years from 2017/2018 to 2020/2021 to support businesses nationally. The amount of relief provided will gradually reduce over this four-year period. New criteria and guidance notes will be set annually.
For 2017/2018 the level of relief to be awarded to successful applicants will be 18.5 per cent.
Application forms have been issued to all eligible ratepayers however if you feel you may be eligible but have not received an application form please contact the business rates team.
Revaluation relief is available where the following criteria has been met: –
- The ratepayer must be in occupation on 31 March 2017. No relief will be awarded to those taking up occupation on or after 1 April 2017 or to unoccupied properties.
- All other mandatory reliefs must have been applied for prior to an application for Local Discretionary Relief being considered.
- The 2017 rateable value must be under £200,000
- The business rates bill must have increased after revaluation by more than 12.5%
- Where a property is formed following a split or merger after 31 March 2017 but qualified before the split or merger a new calculation will be carried out.
- The property must have been in the rating list at 31 March 2017. Relief will not apply to new properties entered into the rating list retrospectively unless under point 5 above.
- An application form must be completed. All applications will be considered on their merits. Relief will apply from 1st Aril 2017 to 31 March 2018. A new application will be required in each subsequent year if applicable.
- Increases to the 2017 rateable value will only affect the award if effective from 1 April 2017 and are due to the 2017 rateable value being incorrect and not due to a material change to the property.
- Recalculations will be made where reductions in rateable value for either the 2010 or 2017 rateable value are made.
- Relief will not be awarded to precepting bodies (i.e. County, District or Parish Councils).
- Applications will not be invited from banks, building societies or other major financial institutions.
- Applications will not be invited from multi-national businesses or large chains.
- Applications will not be invited from the NHS.
- Applications will not be invited from charities.