The government is launching a major new public information campaign, ‘The UK’s new start: let’s get going’.
The campaign will clearly set out the actions businesses and individuals need to take to prepare for the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, and ensure they are ready to seize the opportunities that it will bring.
Alongside the usual promotional methods, the campaign will also see the launch of a field force team, which will give one-to-one support in person or over the phone to businesses and their supply chains to minimise disruption to the movement of goods.
The “Check, Change, Go” strapline directs people and businesses to a straightforward checker tool, which quickly identifies the necessary next steps they need to take.
What actions will I need to take?
The actions people and business owners need to take vary based on their circumstances. They include:
- Making sure you are ready to travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 by getting comprehensive travel insurance, ensuring your passport is valid and checking your roaming policy with your mobile phone provider
- If you want to travel to Europe with your pet from 1 January 2021, contact your vet at least 4 months before you travel
- Making sure your business is ready to export or import from/to the EU, by getting an EU EORI number or registering with the relevant Customs Authority
The campaign will target UK citizens intending to travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 and all importers to and exporters from the EU, alongside UK nationals living in the EU and EU, EEA or Swiss citizens living in the UK.
The campaign will also highlight the significant opportunities ahead for the following:
- exporters through new free trade agreements
- small businesses through smarter regulation
- fishermen, as we take back control of our coastal waters