Jobcentre Plus has a range of recruitment services that can help you as an employer. You could get:
- recruitment advice, including specialist support for businesses
- help setting up work trials to give you the opportunity to try out potential recruits
- support from other employment schemes, including Work Clubs and help with work experience
You can also advertise a job with the ‘Find a job’ service (previously Universal Jobmatch).
A work trial is a way of trying out a potential employee before offering them a job.
Once agreed with Jobcentre Plus, you can offer a work trial if the job is for 16 hours or more a week and lasts at least 13 weeks. The work trial can last up to 30 days.
Some of the benefits are:
- it’s risk free – you can try the person out before making a final decision
- you know they’re committed because they’re volunteering to do it
- there are no wage costs – people continue to get their benefits
- there’s very little paperwork and it’s fuss-free
The conditions for a work trial are:
- the duration of the trial must be agreed in advance
- the jobseeker must meet eligibility conditions and volunteer to take part – Jobcentre Plus will check this for you
Call the Employer Services Line to find out more.